Does Insurance Cover IVF? Explore Infertility Insurance Coverage & Plans Accepted at HFI
“Does insurance cover IVF?” It is a question often asked by new patients. You may be surprised to learn that there is a very good chance that your current health plan offers some type of infertility insurance coverage for treatment and nearly all patients have coverage for their initial consultation and testing. Patients with insurance coverage are responsible for their copay. If there is no insurance or no coverage, the first consultation is only $50. Once patients schedule their initial visit with a physician, our insurance and billing department will verify benefits prior to the initial consultation. After their visit, all patients have an opportunity to sit down with one of our HFI Financial Counselors to discuss their coverage in detail.
Here is a list of insurance providers that we work with on a regular basis:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- First Health
- Great West
- United Healthcare
- Uniformed Services Family Health
*Some insurance carriers require authorization and/or a referral from your primary care physician prior to your new patient visit.
Does Insurance Cover IVF: Questions for Your Insurance Company or Employer
We understand the important role that insurance plays into your fertility treatment. After your consultation with your physician, we give every patient an opportunity to speak with an HFI Financial Counselor who will be available to you throughout your time with HFI. For patients who prefer to speak to their insurance company directly, we have included a list of questions that are important to ask when directly contacting your Employer or Insurance Company:
- Explain my benefits (if any) for diagnostic testing for infertility?
- Are there any age restrictions for infertility treatment?
- Do we need any type of prior authorization or a referral to see a specialist?
- Are there plan limitations, such as lifetime maximums or set limits for intrauterine inseminations (IUIs), in vitro fertilization (IVF), or intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)?
- Are there any restrictions on frozen embryo transfer cycles?
- Do I have medication coverage? Is this separate or inclusive of my other limits?
- Are donor sperm and/or donor egg covered procedures?
- Are there genetic testing benefits?
- Can you put these benefits in writing?
- Do you require a waiting period before I can start treatment?
- If I have no coverage for an actual procedure, do I have any coverage for related services such as ultrasounds and blood work done for monitoring a cycle?
Centers of Excellence Network
Houston Fertility Institute is a proud member of the OptumHealth Centers of Excellence network, which recognizes medical centers and programs with proven experience and statistically successful track records.